I recently purchase several Jasco/GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Smart Switches for use with my VeraPlus Z-Wave Controller. I could NOT get the new smart switches to pair with the controller. I describe two separate techniques I successfully used to pair these switches with VeraPlus.
Here are the specific products I am using. These are NOT referral links.
Jasco GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Light Dimmer 14294
Jasco GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Fan Control 14287
Vera Control VeraPlus Smart Home Controller Hub
How I FAILED to Pair my Jasco/GE Smart Switches to Vera
I initially attempted to add the new Jasco/GE Z-Wave switches through the Vera web interface (and also tried through the Vera mobile app) as a “Jasco In-wall Smart Dimmer” (45857/ZB3001). This was the only device that seemed to be a close match for my new Jasco/GE Z-Wave smart switches.
I kept attempting to reset the switches using a variety of methods and then repeating the pairing process in Vera website or mobile app:
- Pulling out the small power (aka “air gap”) button below the toggle switch, holding the up position on the toggle switch, pushing in the small button, continuing to hold the up position for 4 seconds.
- Same as above, followed by rapidly pressing up position on toggle switch 10 times.
- Rapidly pressing up position on toggle switch 3 times, then rapidly pressing down position on toggle switch 3 times.
- And several other possible reset techniques I found online.
None of these methods worked. It turns out, I should NOT have been trying to use the built-in “Jasco In-wall Smart Dimmer” profile when adding the device to Vera. I later noticed that the ZigBee light was blinking on my VeraPlus controller when attempting to add as a “Jasco In-wall Smart Dimmer” (45857/ZB3001). The model number includes letters “ZB”, so that makes sense. Wish Vera would specifically mention “ZigBee” in the existing profile or add a profile for these Z-Wave switches to help others avoid experiencing the same problem.
How I SUCCESSFULLY Paired my Jasco/GE Z-Wave Devices with VeraPlus?
Method 1: Use Vera Web Interface or Vera Mobile App
- Go to Devices, Add Device, Choose “Generic Z-Wave Device”, Click Next, Click Next. 60 second countdown should begin.
- Very quickly/briefly tap the up position on your Jasco/GE Z-Wave smart switch to begin pairing process with VeraPlus. Vera should recognize the new device as a generic smart device in a few seconds. Give Vera 10-20 seconds to detect the device features and show the device as a dimmable switch. This happens automatically! You may have to leave the devices page and go back to devices to see the updated device.
- Assign your new smart switch device to a room and give the device a name.
I successfully used this method with another pair of new Jasco/GE Z-Wave Smart Light Dimmer 14294 and a Smart Fan Control 14287 smart switches after I got my first pair working with the method below. Listing this method first since it is far easier.
If this 3 step method doesn’t work for you, definitely try method 2. In my case, having the VeraPlus near the smart switches could have been key to my success. I moved the VeraPlus controller close to my smart switches and used my laptop to access the Vera web interface. This involved enabling internet sharing on my laptop, plugging Vera into my laptop port, and figuring out the Vera IP address. If you have to move your VeraPlus controller closer to the switches, method 2 is probably your best bet.
Method 2: Use hardware buttons on VeraPlus
- First, bring your VeraPlus near the Jasco/GE switches. In my case, that meant unplugging power/network from my main closet, taking the VeraPlus and power cord to room with new switches, then plugging in VeraPlus power cord.
- Press the Vera “Select” button until the Z-Wave light on the VeraPlus is flashing, then hold the Vera “Sync” button for about 3 seconds. The Vera Z-Wave light will begin flashing rapidly. Vera is now in “Z-Wave Exclusion” mode, meaning you can force any nearby Z-Wave devices to disassociate from their Z-Wave network.
- Very quickly/briefly tap the up position on your Jasco/GE Z-Wave smart switch while watching the VeraPlus Z-Wave light. Notice the light change for a moment, then continue flashing. Repeat for each nearby Jasco/GE switch to force the smart switch to disassociate from Z-Wave, even if the device is new.
- Press the Vera “Sync” button for a moment. The Vera Z-Wave light should change from rapid flashing to slow flashing. Vera is now in “Z-Wave Inclusion” mode, meaning Vera is ready to pair with new nearby Z-Wave devices.
- Very quickly/briefly tap the up position on your Jasco/GE Z-Wave smart switch while watching the VeraPlus Z-Wave light. Notice the light turn off for a moment, then continue flashing. Repeat for each nearby Jasco/GE switch to force the smart switch to pair with Vera.
- Unplug VeraPlus power cord, move VeraPlus back to normal location, plugin to power/network.
- When you access Vera web interface or Vera mobile app, you should see each of your new Jasco/GE smart switches at the top of your device list with default names. Assign each smart switch device to a room and give each device a name.
Huge kudos to Youtuber “jediknight” for describing this hardware button method in their video below. I successfully used this method with a Jasco/GE Z-Wave Smart Light Dimmer 14294 and a Smart Fan Control 14287.
VeraPlus- Use Hardware Buttons for Device Inclusion & Exclusion